Bringing together two sets of constraints
Focusing on the learners:
Distinguishing–eliciting–connecting. How to:
- link the idea of burning fuel to the dissipating of energy
- distinguish between the physical descriptions of the lived-in world and the descriptions using the idea of energy
These are all related to findings about children's ideas from research. The teaching activities will provide some suggestions. So will colleagues, near and far.
Focusing on the physics:
Representing–noticing–recording. How to:
- build in the conservation of energy
- establish a list of ways to calculate energy, represented by words or diagrams
- select an appropriate representation of a quantity of energy for your teaching
Connecting what is experienced with what is written and drawn is essential to making sense of the connections between the theoretical world of physics and the lived-in world of the children. Don't forget to exemplify this action.